Heceta Head in Yachats, Oregon received its name from Bruno de Heceta, an explorer of the Pacific Northwest during the late 18th century. Suislaw Indians hunted sea lions in the area and gathered sea bird eggs from offshore rocks.
In 1888, settlers claimed 164 acres of the land and the U.S. Lighthouse Service approved building the lighthouse and bought 19 acres for the lighthouse structures.
Located at the mouth of the Yaquina river, the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse is the oldest structure in Newport, Oregon. Built in 1871, it was restored as a privately maintained aid to navigation in December, 1996.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is the only existing Oregon lighthouse with living quarters attached.