Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hi Ho! Come to the Fair


Scents of fried everything wafted on the breeze when we entered the Del Mar fairgrounds.  

A nurse appeared in the center with paddles ready to restart one's heart after a meal. She also needed a roto-rooter to drain the gunk from arteries. 

One fellow, determined to eat a monster portion, squeezed paper towels around the dough to eliminate grease. The slick streamed down his arms until fist-sized balls remained. 

I asked him, "Do you get a prize?" 
He said, "No. If I eat it all I don't have to pay the $20. 

Time to move on.

As night slid behind the attractions, the midway enlivened with music, flashes of light, sprays of color, and cries of fear and fun.


I wanted to win the duck or an elephant. It looked easy when the barker bounced the ball off the board into the laundry basket.  My ball three teetered on the rim. It went in then out. He applauded but didn't give me a prize.




I started feeling whirly and twirly. Really wanted that elephant.


Three security guards smiled but only one would take a photo with me.


No comments: